Two goals by Claude Giroux fueled the Philadelphia Flyers late comeback vs the New Jersey Devils. Ending with a 4-3 Flyers win in a shootout .
The Flyers had a prime opportunity to jump early on the Devils. A team that had lost 9-straight coming into tonight’s game & were coming in on less than 24-hours rest.
However, like most Flyers efforts this season, another lack-luster performance ensured tonight. Starting with yet another bad first 20-minutes.
One of the culprits to this was the Flyers new 3rd pair, Sam Morin & Phil Myers. Who were paired together because of the injury sustained to Shayne Gostisbehere on Friday.
Morin & Myers combined for not just one blunder but two blunders. Both resulting in Devils goals.
In the 1st period, Morin blew a tire before Myers made the wrong decision to jump into the rush. Resulting in the a 3v1 for the Devils with Claude Giroux being the only Flyer back.
Then, in the 2nd period, Morin & Myers both went for the same guy. Both failing to tie the guy up & allowing the Devils player to slide a pass to Miles Wood for the easy tap-in goal.
Sean Couturier ended his 5-game goal-less streak in the 1st period. Deflecting home a Phil Myers point shot off an offensive zone face-off win.
For Couturier, it was his 14th goal of the season. It was also another goal against the Devils. In six of his last seven games vs the Devils, Couturier has scored at least one goal.
With their backs against the wall, the Flyers came back with another one of their late comebacks. Solely on the back of captain Claude Giroux.
Giroux would score twice in a span of 22-seconds to tie the game with 1:04 left in the 3rd period. In the 3rd period, Giroux played 7:01, had 3-shots on net, & two big goals for the Flyers.
Brian Elliott came up big when he needed too. Stoping 29 of the 32 shots he faced, including 4 of 6 in the shootout, to earn his 13th win of the season.
– Sean Couturier continues to add to his recent success vs the Devils. Couturier now has goals in 6 of his last 7 games vs the Devils.
– Scott Laughton had a night to remember in the face-off dot. After losing his first draw of the night, Laughton would lose just one more the rest of the night. Finishing the night winning 11 of his 13 face-offs.
– Claude Giroux continues to climb the Flyers leaderboards. With his 2-goals in the 3rd, Giroux is now 3rd in total points in Flyers history.
– Shayne Gostisbehere not play after sustaining an injury on Friday vs the Rangers. Gostisbehere has a MCL sprain and will miss the next 7-10 days per head coach Alain Vigneault.
– Carter Hart, who was expected to return to practice this morning, is still out. Hart is still not close enough to return from his knee sprain per head coach Alain Vigneault.
Result : Flyers 4 – Devils 3 , WIN
Record : 22 – 19 – 7
Next Game : 4/27 New Jersey Devils, Newark NJ, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images