For the second straight game vs the New York Rangers, the Philadelphia Flyers suffered a blowout loss. Losing to the Rangers 8-3 Thursday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
Like Tuesday, the Flyers failed to come out with any jump. Falling right into their old habits quickly after opening puck drop.
After losing the face-off following the first TV timeout, another mental mistake would give the Rangers a 1-0 lead.
Jake Voracek & Phil Myers would be allow Ryan Strome to be left alone in-front. Instead of shooting, Artemi Panarin would fire a pass right to the stick of Strome. Who tapped it in with ease.
Just 52-seconds later, the Rangers would take a 2-0 lead.
The puck would bounce over Nolan Patrick’s stick at the Rangers blue-line & send New York in on a 2v1. Chris Kreider would stretch Carter Hart as wide as possible before firing a pass across ice to Pavel Buchnevich. Who beat a sliding Hart to the near post.
In need of a response, Nicolas Aube-Kubel would drop the gloves with Brendan Smith. Well, drop the gloves & engage in a hugging wrestling match.
However, it would be the Rangers who would get the energy from the fight.
After a Justin Braun penalty, the Rangers would make it 3-0. Adam Fox’s point shot would be deflected by Mika Zibanejad in-front and the puck would squeak through Carter Hart.
The Rangers would make it 4-0 just 54-seconds into the 2nd period on the power-play. Adam Fox would fire a cross-ice pass to the left dot. Where Mika Zibanejad would one-time a shot by Carter Hart.
Just 1:12 later, the Rangers would make it 5-0. Mika Zibanejad would get another one on the power-play yet again for the hat-trick.
That would be it for Carter Hart on the night.
It would get worse just 36-seconds later. On Brian Elliott’s first shot faced, K’Andre Miller’s point shot would flutter by Elliott for the goal to make it six Rangers goals in first 22:32 of play.
Claude Giroux would get the Flyers on the board. Kevin Hayes would find Giroux from behind the net in the high slot. Where Giroux would fire one to the far post & beat Igor Shesterkin.
On their first power-play of the night, the Flyers would make it 6-2. Sean Couturier would feed a cross-ice saucer pass to a cutting Kevin Hayes. Who would immediately fire it by Igor Shesterkin.
The Flyers would start the 3rd period on the power-play. But, the Rangers would strike just 33-seconds in. The puck would find Pavel Buchnevich alone in-front after Ivan Provorov poke checked a pass. Buchnevich would roof one over Brian Elliott for the short-handed goal.
Just 55-seconds later, still on the power-play, the Flyers would get it back. Sean Couturier would fire a shot by Igor Shesterkin after being setup from behind the net by Travis Konecny.
The Rangers would add another one with 1:58 left to make the final score 8-3 Rangers.
Carter Hart stopped 6 of the 11 shots he faced in the losing effort. Brian Elliott stopped 8 of the 11 shots he faced in relief.
– On Wednesday, GM Chuck Fletcher gave some insight to his plans leading up to the deadline. Fletcher mentioned “maybe in the next week or two” some of the Flyers prospects would be recalled. Just one-day removed, Sam Morin was recalled & inserted right into the lineup.
– After being recalled in the morning, Sam Morin was activated to the active roster & returned to Flyers lineup. Morin played at his natural position, defense, in his return. Finishing the night with 2-hits & a fight in 13:02.
– With his goal in the 2nd period, Claude Giroux continues to climb the Flyers leaderboard. Passing Simon Gagne for 9th on Flyers goals list with his 256th goal in the orange & black.
– Deja-vu? Some would have thought maybe the Flyers would have shown some fight after being embarrassed 9-0 the last time these teams met. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case. The Rangers would score another 8-goals on the Flyers tonight.
– When is enough – enough? What is the give in point for the Flyers? Mental mistakes, turnovers, & just sloppy play continues to plague this team. The question becomes, when will GM Chuck Fletcher do something to help this mess?
Result : Flyers 3 – Rangers 8 , LOSS
Record : 15 – 13 – 4
Next Game : 3/27 New York Rangers, Philadelphia PA, 1:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images