With their season on the line, the Philadelphia Flyers unraveled with 3:03 left in the 3rd period. Losing to the Buffalo Sabres 5-3 Sunday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center.
The 1st period hasn’t been good to the Flyers all season. Especially in the month of March. But, for the second straight game, the Flyers held a lead after the 1st period.
Shayne Gostisbehere would continue to grow his already high offensive confidence. Jumping up in the rush to set up the Flyers first goal. Banking his shot/pass off of Oskar Lindblom in-front for the goal.
With the penalty kill red hot, the Flyers power-play is still struggling to find the back of the net. However, today did get credit for a goal as Arttu Ruotsalainen penalty expired. Joel Farabee would get credit for the goal. Ending his 9-game goal-less streak.
Since firing 25-shots in the 2nd period on Tuesday vs the Bruins, the Flyers have struggled in the 2nd period. For the second straight game, they came out slow & gave up the lead in the first 5-minutes of the period in quick secession.
The Flyers gave up two-goals in a span of 46-seconds. Which, hasn’t been an issue of late. However, has been one of the Flyers biggest problems this season. Having a good first shift after an opposing goal.
Like Saturday, the Flyers needed to win the final 20-minutes to keep their season alive. However, that wasn’t the case.
The Flyers top line would give them the lead 3:47 into the 3rd period. James van Riemsdyk would force a turnover in center & Joel Farabee would win a board battle in the offensive zone. Before finding a wide open Shayne Gostisbehere for the goal.
But, it would all unravel with 3:03 left in the 3rd.
Claude Giroux, who has been one of the best Flyers over the past two weeks, made an unnecessary mistake. Choosing to flip the puck out, which went for an icing, instead of just chipping the puck off the boards. Which, even the bad teams will make you pay for.
The Sabres would then score off the face-off to tie the game. But, like most of the season, it would be the next shift that would cost the Flyers once again as Buffalo would take the lead 25-seconds later.
As the horn sounded, so did the Flyers season. Losing to the last place Buffalo Sabres 5-3.
Carter Hart stopped 26 of the 30 shots he faced in the losing effort.
– Today marked Carter Hart’s 100th career game. In his first 100-games, Hart is 48-37-9
– With an assist on the Flyers 2nd goal, Nolan Patrick ended his 35-game assist-less streak.
– The Flyers penalty kill continues to stay red hot. Which has killed off 11-straight after killing off all three Sabres power-plays.
– For the second straight game, the Flyers held a lead after the 1st period. But, also for the second straight game, have had a sleepy & slow 2nd period. Which has costed them the lead in both games.
– Well, its deadline day. The Flyers will not play again until after Monday’s trade deadline. With today’s devastating loss, GM Chuck Fletcher’s decision to sell just became a lot easier.
– “Its hard to explain… we just blew it,” head coach Alain Vigneault said.
Result : Flyers 3 – Sabres 5 , LOSS
Record : 19 – 16 – 6
Next Game : 4/13 Washington Capitals, Washington DC , 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images