The Philadelphia Flyers couldn’t hold off the red hot Washington Capitals Saturday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center. Losing by a final score of 6-3.
With the amount of lineup changes, you would have thought the Flyers were playing a preseason game. The Flyers made four lineup changes today vs the Capitals. The biggest coming in net.
Carter Hart was a late scratch due to a lower-body injury. In Hart’s place, it would be Alex Lyon. Who was told he was starting just 90-minutes before the game.
Making his first start since Feb. 1, 2020, Lyon stopped 35 of the 40 shots he faced.
Tanner Laczynski also missed today’s game with a lower-body injury. Carsen Twarynski was activated from the taxi-squad to replace Laczynski in the lineup.
Sam Morin & Nicolas Aube-Kubel, both healthy scratches on Thursday, were reinserted back into the lineup. Morin entered for Robert Hagg. Aube-Kubel entered for Nolan Patrick. Who was held out for precautionary reasons after being hit in the head by the puck on Thursday.
Since killing off 11-streak penalties, the Flyers penalty kill is back to reality. Giving up five goals in their last twelve opportunities. Including two more to the Capitals today after giving up three to the Capitals on Tuesday in Washington. Both to Alex Ovechkin.
Ovechkin, who has been a Flyer killer his whole career, continued to add to his career totals. Scoring his 41st & 42nd goals vs the Flyers in his career. Both coming on the power-play.
In the previous four seasons, Ovechkin had only two power-play goals vs the Flyers. Today, Ovechkin matched that total to add to his three power-play goals already scored against the Flyers this season. Now has five power-play goals against the Flyers this season.
The Flyers had the opportunity to gain momentum going into the 2nd period. Ivan Provorov scored, 7th of the season, with just 1-second left in the 1st period.
However, like recent Flyers performances, they struggled to produce in the 2nd period. Having another 2nd period to forget.
In the 2nd period, the Capitals would out-hustle, out-forecheck, & just out-play the Flyers. Firing 19-shots at Alex Lyon. With three of them finding the back of the net.
After impressing in his NHL debut on Thursday, Wade Allison continued to impress. Playing on the Flyers 2nd line with Claude Giroux & Joel Farabee due to injuries.
Mid-way through the 3rd period, Allison would get his 1st career goal on the power-play. Finishing a perfectly executed tic-tac-toe on the power-play with Claude Giroux & Kevin Hayes.
But, like Ivan Provorov’s goal with 1-second left, the Flyers failed to capitalize on the momentum. Giving up a goal just 2:13 later to restore the Capitals 2-goal lead.
Anthony Mantha added an empty net goal. Giving the Capitals a 6-3 win. Which was their 4th straight win in Philadelphia.
– Carter Hart was a late scratch after being announced as the starter yesterday. Hart missed today’s game with a lower-body injury per the Flyers. Brian Elliott will still start tomorrow per Alain Vigneault.
– Nolan Patrick, who missed the final 16:46 of play on Thursday, was a healthy scratch. On Thursday, Patrick would leave the game after being hit in the head by the puck. Patrick was held out for precautionary reasons per Alain Vigneault.
– James van Riemsdyk scored his 14th goal of the season in the 2nd period. Ending an 18-game goal-less streak.
– Wade Allison scored his 1st career NHL goal in the 3rd period. Getting his 1st in just his 2nd career game.
– For the 21st time this season, the Flyers gave up 4+ goals in a game. For the 8th time, the Flyers gave up 6+ goals in a game.
Result : Flyers 3 – Capitals 6 , LOSS
Record : 20 – 18 – 6
Next Game : 4/18 New York Islanders, Philadelphia PA , 6:30pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images