The Philadelphia Flyers ended a 10-game losing streak. Beating the New York Islanders Tuesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
On Saturday, in New York, the Flyers and Islanders met for the first time this season. The Islanders went on to win 5-2 after two goals in a span of 22-seconds early in the 3rd period.
Late in the 3rd period, the fisticuffs were on full display. Setting the tone for tonight’s rematch in Philadelphia.
Those fisticuffs boiled over quickly tonight. With both Zack MacEwen and Nic Deslauriers both dropping the gloves in the first 8-seconds of the game.
Zack MacEwen took on Islanders Matt Martin just 7-seconds in. Then, on the ensuring face-off, Deslauriers took on Islanders Ross Johnston, who was put into the lineup to do just that.
After ten penalty minutes for both teams in the first 8-seconds, Saturday’s rollover into tonight’s game was over.
Once again, for the 16th time this season, the Flyers found themselves giving up the games opening goal.
Over the past two-weeks, the Flyers have been finding ways to lose hockey games. Whether it be flat periods, bad starts, or bad penalties, the Flyers were finding ways to lose instead of ways to win.
Even with giving up the opening goal, the Flyers put together a full 60-minutes of hockey. Something that has not been easy over their 10-game losing streak.
“There’s games that we should have won,” Kevin Hayes said after scoring two goals vs the Islanders. “We are trying hard and everything, but sometimes just not enough.”
Hayes added “thought we played a full 60 and actually closed it out tonight.”
Scott Laughton Returns To Lineup
Scott Laughton returned to the Flyers lineup after missing four games with an upper-body injury. Laughton, who was injured in the 3rd period against Montreal 10-days ago, made a quick recovery for his injury.
Originally slated to miss two weeks, Laughton made his return in just 8-days after being diagnosed with an upper-body injury.’
With Laughton returning to the lineup, Patrick Brown was scratched. Laughton was inserted right back into the Flyers 2nd line with Noah Cates and Zack MacEwen.
In his return, Laughton had 3-shots in 18:08 of ice time.
- Tony DeAngelo, who is battling a lower-body injury, did not play tonight. DeAngelo blocked a shot in the 3rd period against the Penguins on Friday, which has led to a lingering lower-body injury.
- Noah Cates continues to struggle in the face-off dot. Entering tonight, Cates was just 5/27 (18.5%) over his past four games. Tonight, Cates was 5/11 (45%).
- Carter Hart ended a 7-game winless streak. Hart gave up a goal early in the 1st period on an Islanders 5v3. But, finished the game stopping the final 20-Islanders shots.
- Rasmus Ristolainen stepped into the #1 defense pair alongside Ivan Provorov in the absence of Tony DeAngelo. Ristolainen played 20:22, was a +2, and led the Flyers in blocks with three.
- Cam Atkinson was once again present in the press box for tonight. It was the second straight game that Atkinson was present. Yesterday, Atkinson practiced for the first time this season and could return to the lineup soon.
Result : Islanders 1 – Flyers 3 , WIN
Record : 8 – 10 – 5
Next Game : Thursday 12/1 , Tampa Bay Lightning , Philadelphia PA , 7:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Mitchell Leff – Getty Images