In Brian Elliott’s 500-career-game, the Philadelphia Flyers failed to get him a win. Losing to the Pittsburgh Penguins 7-3 Tuesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
In last night’s 7-2 win over the Penguins, the Flyers jumped on them early. Scoring 3-goals in the 1st period. After the game, Jake Voracek said that the feeling was the Flyers had the better legs. But, expected tonights game to be different. Voracek hit it right on the head.
Just 1:44 in tonight, Marcus Pettersson would give the Penguins a 1-0 lead. A goal that was because of their better legs & jump. Something that resulted in the Penguins controlling most of the 1st period. Including holding the Flyers shot-less for the first 6-minutes.
Over their past 11-games after wins, the Flyers have now given up the first goal in 8 of the 11-games. Losing the 1st period for the 5th time in the those 11-games.
The Flyers luck seemed to be very good last night. But, tonight, the bad bounces returned. Resulting in two goals for the Penguins.
Brian Elliott would do a snow angel in his crease with the puck still loose. As Elliott fell back, the puck would slide into the net after his back touched the puck.
Nolan Patrick would block a Marcus Pettersson point shot. But, the block would go right to the stick of Sidney Crosby. Who would put the puck by Elliott.
Before the Flyers knew it, they were down 3-0 just 5:44 into the 2nd period. Which is when they tried to make one of those rigorous comebacks.
But, after allowing 2-goals on the first Penguins 3-shots in the 3rd, their comeback attempt was halted.
Brian Elliott stopped 24 of the 30 shots he faced in the losing effort.
– Brian Elliott reached an impressive milestone tonight. Playing in his 500th career game. With the Flyers, Elliott is 63-38-14 in 128-career-games.
– Justin Braun scored his first goal of the season in the 2nd period. Braun ended a 67-game scoring brought with the goal.
– The Flyers entered tonight’s game just 1-9-0 in their last 10-games after a win. Much like the last 10-games, the Flyers couldn’t gain any momentum & lost again in the game following a win.
– James van Riemsdyk turned 32-years-old today. On his 32rd birthday, van Riemsdyk was held off the scoresheet in 13:57 of ice time.
– On the season, the Flyers were pretty even with every other team in the East Division. But, against the Penguins, the Flyers had some success. Finishing the season going 5-3-1 vs Penguins.
Result : Flyers 3 – Penguins 7 , LOSS
Record : 23 – 23 – 7
Next Game : 5/7 Washington Capitals, Washington DC, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images
Pingback: Flyers vs Capitals : Game 54 Preview - Brotherly Bullies