The Philadelphia Flyers kicked off their 2020-2021 season with a dominating 6-3 win over their cross-state rival the Pittsburgh Penguins.
After the Flyers controlled most of the first five minutes, the Penguins would get the games first goal. Jared McCann would find a wide open Mark Jankowski in-front for the goal.
The Flyers would answer with two 1st period power-play goals. Both by the 2nd unit.
James van Riemsdyk would get the first. van Riemsdyk would deflect home new-comer Erik Gustafsson’s shot from the point. It was Gustafsson’s first point in a Flyers uniform.
With 8-seconds left in the 1st period, Gustafsson would get his 2nd point of the night. Nolan Patrick would get a sliver of his stick on Gustafsson’s blast for the goal to beat Jarry to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead heading into the 2nd.
After a Jake Voracek penalty, the Penguins would tie the game. Carter Hart would try to fling the puck up the middle of the ice. But, Sidney Crosby would knock it down & make Hart pay for his mistake. A mistake that Hart will sure not make ever again.
Joel Farabee would break the tie with 1:06 left in the 2nd. Kevin Hayes made a great forecheck to keep the puck in the zone & find Farabee. Who would beat Jarry far post for his 3rd point of the night.
The Penguins would tie the game just over three-minutes into the 3rd period. Brandon Tanev would beat Hart far-side on a shot from the left dot. But, just 2:34 later, the Flyers would take their 3rd lead of the night.
Michael Raffl would give the Flyers a 4-3 lead off of a great feed from Scott Laughton. Laughton would find the puck in the corner and drop a no-look pass to Raffl in-front for the goal.
Travis Konecny would give the Flyers their first two goal lead. Konecny would put home the loose puck in-front after a net-mouth scramble.
Just 20-seconds later, Kevin Hayes would give the Flyers a 6-3 lead. Joel Farabee would fire a shot that would rebound perfectly off Jarry’s right pad to Hayes for the wide-open goal. It would be Farabee’s 4th point of the night.
Carter Hart stopped stopped 31 of the 34 shots he faced to earn his first win of the season.
– In his first game action in 652-games, Nolan Patrick returned with a vengeance. Patrick made his presence known going 7/13 from the face-off dot & scoring a power-play goal.
– Joel Farabee kicked off his 2nd season with a bang. Farabee opened his season with a goal & three assists. Two of Farabee’s assists came on the power-play.
– Erik Gustafsson was very impressive in his Flyers debut. Playing a part in the Flyers first two goals, Gustafsson’s point shots would be deflected home for Flyers goals. Gustafsson finished the night with two assists in 18:02.
– On his 24th birthday, Ivan Provorov showed why he is a true #1 defenseman in the NHL. In 23:01 of ice-time, Provorov played a big part in shutting down Sidney Crosby. Whose only contribution on the night came off of Carter Hart’s mistake.
– The Flyers special teams dominated the Penguins in their opener. After going 4 for 52 in the playoffs, the Flyers power-play went 2 of 3. Both goals coming by the Flyers 2nd unit. The Flyers penalty kill went 2 for 3. Hart’s mistake leading to the only goal.
Result : Flyers 6 – Penguins 3 , WIN
Record : 1 – 0 – 0
Next Game : 1/15 Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia PA, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Image
Pingback: Flyers vs Penguins : Game 2 Preview - Brotherly Bullies