The Philadelphia Flyers passed their first big test of the season. Doubling up the Boston Bruins 6-3 Wednesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
The Bruins and Flyers met 8-times last season. Eight-games that did not leave a great taste in the Flyers mouths.
In those 8-games, the Flyers looked lack-luster. A team that knew they were out-matched on a nightly basis. Ending the season with a 2-6 record vs the Bruins.
Tonight, in their first matchup of the 2021-2022 season, the Flyers made sure the Bruins knew last year wasn’t going to happen again.
With the Bruins controlling the majority of the first 10-minutes of play, the Flyers did not break. In big thanks to the stellar performance in net by Martin Jones. Who stopped all 8-Bruins-shots before the Flyers struck first.
Cam Atkinson would get his 2nd in a Flyers uniform. Derick Brassard would fire a stretch pass up ice to a streaking Atkinson. Who would go in on a 2v1 with Joel Farabee & beat Jeremy Swayman low glove for the goal.
After a bad line-change, the Flyers would concede.
Nicolas Aube-Kubel & Travis Sanheim would not get off as the Bruins entered the zone. As the puck rimmed around the boards, it would find a wide-open Karson Kuhlman in-front. Who would beat Martin Jones high over the blocker.
As time was expiring in the 1st period, the Flyers would re-take the lead. This time on the power-play.
Ryan Ellis’s point shot would deflect off of Derick Brassard in the high slot. The puck would trickle past Swayman & Joel Farabee would slam it home for the goal. His 3rd of the season.
Scott Laughton would give the Flyers a 2-goal lead early in the 2nd period.
After coming out with a heavy fore-check, Keith Yandle would cause a turnover at the Bruins blue-line & keep the puck in. James van Riemsdyk would fire a pass in-front. Where Laughton would beat Swayman through the five-hole for the goal. His 1st of the season.
The Bruins would mount a comeback thereafter. Scoring two goals over the final 12-minutes of the 2nd period.
In need of a big 20-minutes to win the game, the Flyers got right to work in the 3rd period. Cam Atkinson would get it started just 58-seconds into the 3rd. The first of three Flyers 3rd period goals.
Atkinson would re-direct home a Joel Farabee pass in-front. Farabee stole the puck with a great knock-down with his stick at the Bruins blue-line. Which led to the 2v1 & Atkinson’s 2nd goal of the night.
Travis Konecny would give the Flyers a late 2-goal lead. Konecny would wire one, bar-down, from the high slot. His 3rd of the season. Joining Joel Farabee for the team lead in goals.
Sean Couturier would hit a 100+ foot empty net goal from his own blue-line. It was Couturier’s 1st goal of the season.
Martin Jones was spectacular in his Flyers debut. Stopping 37 of the 40 shots he faced in the winning effort.
- Playing in his 387-career game in a Philadelphia Flyers uniform, James van Riemsdyk earned a career milestone. It was van Riemsdyk’s 800th career game in the NHL.
- Keith Yandle, Joel Farabee, Cam Atkinson, & Ryan Ellis all would add to their already great starts. All four have points in all three Flyers games so far this season.
- In his Flyers debut, Martin Jones was tested early & often. But, Jones stood tall & led the Flyers to victory with 37 saves on 40 shots.
- With his power-play goal with 8.9 left in the 1st period, Joel Farabee extended his goal streak to 3-games to start the season. It is the 5th longest goal streak to start the season for a Flyers player & longest since Claude Giroux (3-games) in 2011.
- With his goal in the 3rd period, Travis Konecny extended his goal-streak to 3-games to start the season. Konecny joined Joel Farabee with 3-game goal streaks to start the season.
Result : Flyers 6 – Bruins 3 , WIN
Record : 2 – 0 – 1
Next Game : Saturday 10/23 vs Florida Panthers , Philadelphia PA , 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images