The Philadelphia Flyers survived a New York Islanders comeback again for the second night in a row. This time holding off a 2-goal Islanders 3rd period push. Beating New York 4-3 in overtime.
The Islanders would pick up right where they left off last night. Pressuring the Flyers early. Firing nine of the first eleven shots at Brian Elliott. Who would bail out his teammates & stop all nine.
While on the power-play, Jake Voracek would cause a 5v3. However, it was one of the worst Flyers power-plays all season. Which came & went as quickly as they got it. But, it would flip the momentum to Philadelphia’s favor.
With just 1:18 left in the 1st period, Joel Farabee would give the Flyers a 1-0. After a late wave off of what would have been a Flyers icing, the Flyers forecheck went to work. James van Riemsdyk would poke-check a loose puck to Farabee. Who beat Ilya Sorokin bar-down.
Just 38-seconds into the 2nd period, the Islanders would tie the game. After an extremely weak hooking call on Nolan Patrick, Nick Leddy would score 13-seconds into the power-play.
But, just 1:41 later, the Flyers would answer. Joel Farabee would execute a perfect give & go with James van Riemsdyk for his second of the night. Farabee would beat Ilya Sorokin bar-down once again.
The Flyers would add to their lead late in the 2nd period. Once again it would be Joel Farabee, who would get his 1st career hat-trick. Farabee would deflect home a Phil Myers point shot for the goal.
Josh Bailey would get the Islanders to within one just 1:03 into the 3rd period. Bailey would deflect a Ryan Pulock point shot, that was going wide, by Brian Elliott.
Mathew Barzal would tie the game with 13:33 left in the 3rd period. After a Robert Hagg point shot went high & wide, the puck would come all the way back into the Flyers zone. Where Anders Lee would beat out Justin Braun & find a wide-open Barzel in-front. Jake Voracek decided to give Braun a push instead of picking up Barzel.
The Flyers would survive a late Islanders power-play, their 11th over the two-game series, & the game would head to overtime.
Kevin Hayes would get the game winner on the power-play. Claude Giroux would drop the puck, after his first shot was blocked, to Hayes. Who would also go bar-down on Ilya Sorokin.
Brian Elliott stopped 33 of the 36 shots he faced to earn his 3rd win of the season.
– Joel Farabee made Flyers history on opening night with his four-point night. Now, Farabee becomes just the 3rd Flyer in team history to get a hat-trick before his 21st birthday. Farabee joins Mike Richards & Eric Lindros as the other Flyers to get their 1st hat-trick before turning 21.
– James van Riemsdyk continues his revenge tour. van Riemsdyk would assist on all three Joel Farabee goal. Setting up two of them. In doing so, extending his point streak to four games. van Riemsdyk has 5-goals & 7-assists thru 10-games this season.
– The Flyers won their 7th game tonight. Yet, once again, were out-played & out-battled at 5v5. Something that head coach Alain Vigneault said “we are taking steps in the right direction and this group wants to get there. We want to get better and we will.” On the season, the Flyers have still yet to put-forth a 60-minute effort. Let alone even a 40-minute effort.
– Kevin Hayes notched his 5th goal of the season with the overtime winner. Joel Farabee added his 3rd, 4th, & 5th goals on the season with his hat-trick. For the season, the Flyers have five 5-goal scorers. (James van Riemsdyk, Travis Konecny, Kevin Hayes, Joel Farabee)
– Once again it would be a Flyers goalie bailing out his teammates. After taking a 3-1 lead into the 3rd period, the Flyers played another bad period defensively & hung Elliott out to dry on both goals. If it wasn’t for Elliott coming up big late in the 3rd & in the 1st, stopping all 13-shots he faced, the Flyers would have lost tonight.
Result : Flyers 4 – Islanders 3 , WIN
Record : 7 – 2 – 1
Next Game : 2/3 Boston Bruins, Philadelphia PA, 8:00pm
Photo Credit : Tim Nwachukwu – Getty Images
Pingback: Bruins vs Flyers : Game 11 Preview - Brotherly Bullies