The Philadelphia Flyers comeback to beat the New York Islanders, 2-1, Sunday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center.
In their first game without Claude Giroux as their captain, the Flyers came out with a jump. Resulting in a good opening 20-minutes for the Flyers.
The Flyers outshot the Islanders 13-6 in the 1st period. But, went to the locker-room down 1-0.
Patrick Brown would have a defensive zone sequence to forget. After whiffing on his clearing attempt, the Islanders would score off Brown’s stick as he tried to block an Islanders shot from the point.
In the 2nd period, the Flyers new top line – Joel Farabee-Kevin Hayes-Travis Konecny – took over. The line scoring both goals for the Flyers. One at even strength & the other on the power-play.
Their first goal was a result of a great defensive play by Joel Farabee. Who poke checked an Islanders player as they attempted to round the back of the net. The puck went right to Travis Konecny. Who passed it to Kevin Hayes for his first goal of the game.
Later on in the period, on the power-play, it would be Joel Farabee’s stick once again setting up the goal. This time poking a loose puck to Kevin Hayes for his second of the game. The loose puck was a result of an Owen Tippett shot left in the crease by Ilya Sorokin.
In the 3rd period, Carter Hart would not allow a goal. Stopping all 7 shots fired his way, including the final 24 Islanders shots, to get the win.
Hart finished with 26 saves on 27 Islanders shots.
- Justin Braun, who is expected to be traded by the deadline tomorrow, was held out of today’s game. Asset management per the Flyers.
- Kevin Hayes scored his 6th & 7th goals of the season. When Hayes scores, the Flyers are 34-4-3.
- Joel Farabee assisted on both Kevin Hayes goals. In his last 4 games, Farabee has 5 points (1 goal & 4 assists).
- The Flyers ended an 8-game losing streak against the Islanders.
- On Saturday, the Flyers traded Claude Giroux to the Florida Panthers.
- Gerry Mayhew, who was put on waivers on Saturday, was claimed by the Anaheim Ducks.
Owen Tippett Debuts
On Saturday, the Flyers traded captain Claude Giroux to the Florida Panthers. A deal that was centered around former 1st round pick Owen Tippett.
After arriving last night from Charlotte, Tippett made his debut today for the Flyers.
In his debut, Tippett finished 2 shots on goal (6-attempts) in 14:38 of ice time.
Before the trade, Tippett had 6 goals & 8 assists for the Florida Panthers. As well as, 6 goals & 12 assists for the Panthers AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers.
Result : Islanders 1 – Flyers 2 , WIN
Record : 20 – 31 – 11
Next Game : Tuesday 3/22 vs Detroit Red Wings , Detroit MI , 7:30pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Len Redkoles – Getty Images
Pingback: Flyers vs Red Wings: Game 63 Preview - Brotherly Bullies