The Philadelphia Flyers couldn’t capitalize on a tired Columbus Blue Jackets team on the back-to-back. Losing 4-2 Thursday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
The Blue Jackets jumped on the Flyers early. Resulting in a 2-0 lead after capitalizing on two neutral zone mistakes by the Flyers.
With 2:25 remaining in the 1st period, the Flyers would capitalize on a great forechecking shift by the 4th line. Resulting in Noah Cates 1st career NHL goal.
Cates was setup by an excellent forecheck by Patrick Brown. Who feed Cates from below the end line for the goal.
In the 2nd period, it would be all Flyers. Outshooting the Blue Jackets 18-8 & tying the game with 6:44 left in the period. Resulting in another first.
Ronnie Attard would get his 1st career NHL point. Attard’s point shot would be deflected home in-front by James van Riemsdyk.
After blowing a 3-0 lead in the 3rd period on Sunday against the New York Rangers, the Flyers had a chance to redeem themselves tonight. However, it was much of the same.
Columbus would score twice late in the 3rd period. Giving the Blue Jackets a 4-2 win.
Carter Hart made 26-saves on 29-shots faced in the losing effort.
- Noah Cates opened the scoring for the Flyers tonight in the 1st period. The goals was Cates’ first career NHL goal.
- Ronnie Attard assisted on the Flyers tying goal in the 2nd period. The assist was Attard’s first career NHL point.
- Keith Yandle returned to the lineup after missing the last two-games as a healthy scratch. Tonight was career game 1100 for Yandle.
- Scott Laughton returned lineup after missing the last 12-games with a concussion. In his return, Laughton was held pointless. But, was 7/9 (78%) in the face-off dot.
- The Flyers power-play had four chances tonight to get a goal. The Flyers fired 10-shots on goal during their four power-plays. None of which made it past Elvis Merzlikins.
Result : Blue Jackets 4 – Flyers 2 , LOSS
Record : 22 – 37 – 11
Next Game : Thursday 4/7 vs Columbus Blue Jackets , Columbus OH , 7:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Len Redkoles – Getty Images