The Philadelphia Flyers season came to an end Monday night at the Wells Fargo Center. But, ended with a 4-2 win over the New Jersey Devils.
Just like much of their season, the Flyers were chasing the game again. Tonight, giving up two-goals in the first 5:21 of play.
After coming out with no jump, the Devils made the Flyers pay off of two turnovers. Both forced because of failed clear attempts by the Flyers.
The Devils first two-goals also came within two-minutes of each other. Which has also been an issue for the Flyers all season. Failing to stop the push on the next shift.
But, even with the Flyers struggles showing, their rigorous comebacks also showed up. Starting with the first goal on a beautiful give-and-go between Kevin Hayes & Joel Farabee.
If that wasn’t enough, Claude Giroux may have put in a late nominee for the best setup on the season. Kicking a pass from the corner from the right dot to Sean Couturier on the back post for the goal.
With both teams struggling at some point during the game, both teams laid it all out in the 3rd period. The final period for both teams on the season.
However, you would have thought both were playing for their playoff lives.
The Devils fell into a shell and fought like they needed a point to make the playoff. The Flyers pushed like they needed a win in regulation. Which, led to the first of two 3rd period goals in route to the win.
James van Riemsdyk would get his 10th power-play goal of the season. While Joel Farabee would finish off his goal & get his 20th of the season late in the 3rd.
After allowing two goals on the Devils first 4-shots, Brian Elliott stopped the final 19-shots he faced to earn his 15th win of the season. Stopping 23 of the 25 shots he faced.
Flyers Season Awards
Barry Ashbee Trophy (Best Defenseman) – Ivan Provorov
Pelle Lindbergh Trophy (Most Improved) – Joel Farabee
Yanick Dupre Trophy (PHWA Class Guy) – James van Riemsdyk
Toyota Cup (3-Stars Most Points) – Claude Giroux
Gene Hart Trophy (Work Ethic & Dedication) – Sean Couturier
Bobby Clarke Trophy (MVP) – Sean Couturier
– The Flyers home record is something they hoped to be better. After starting 6-2-2, the Flyers finished 6-10-2 to end with a 12-12-4 home record.
– Head coach Alain Vigneault had high praise for Justin Braun pregame. Said he may have been his MVP. Post-game, Vigneault announced Justin Braun broke his foot blocking a shot in the 2nd period.
– Joel Farabee ended the season as the Flyers leading goal scorer. Adding his team leading 19th & 20th goals tonight.
– Before the game, Brian Elliott was honored pregame for his 500th career game last Tuesday. In what could be his last game in a Flyers uniform, Elliott stopped 23 of the 25 shots he faced in the win.
– Cam York made his debut at the Wells Fargo Center. After impressing in his first two games, York had a hit & a block in 18:28 of ice time.
– The Flyers season is now officially over. After starting with some hope, 12-5-3 in their first 20-games, the Flyers finished 13-18-5 over the final 36-games.
Result : Flyers 4 – Devils 2 , WIN
Record : 25 – 23 – 8
Next Game : Season Over
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images