The Philadelphia Flyers defeated the New York Rangers, 2-1, Saturday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center.
The Flyers came out with jump to start. Firing 12 of the first 14 shots at Igor Shesterkin. However, Shesterkin would stop them all.
Travis Konecny would cost his team the first goal after taking a bad penalty. Konecny would intentionally trip / throw Mika Zibanejad to the ice in the Rangers crease after the whistle.
On the power-play, none other than Mika Zibanejad would make him pay. Ryan Strome would fire a shot / pass right to Zibanejad’s stick on the back post & in. His 7th goal & 5th on the power-play vs the Flyers in the past three-games.
After failed power-plays by both teams to start the 2nd period, the Flyers would tie the game on the latter power-play after a 5v3.
Nolan Patrick would deflect home Shayne Gostisbehere’s point shot. Gostisbehere’s shot made it through two Rangers before deflecting off Patrick & past Igor Shesterkin.
In the 3rd period, it would be all Flyers. Controlling the play & setting the tone on the forecheck. Which with 4:27 left in the game, would result in the game winner.
Michael Raffl would win a battle on the forecheck. Nicolas Aube-Kubel would get to the puck & drop a pass to Sam Morin. Who would fire one past a screened Igor Shesterkin.
The Flyers would hold on & beat the Rangers 2-1.
Brian Elliott stopped 24 of the 25 shots he faced in the winning effort.
– In his second game since his recall, Sam Morin was rewarded with a special moment today. Scoring his 1st career NHL goal & the game winner for the Flyers.
– The Flyers continue to take costly sloppy penalties. Travis Konecny was whistled for a roughing penalty after the whistle that costed them a goal. Phil Myers was whistled for a roughing penalty in the offensive zone after throwing a punch at a Ranger.
– For the 1st time in over a month, the Flyers actually played 60-minutes. Something that didn’t come easy. Especially after yet another power-play goal given up. But, the Flyers showed fight, pushback, & played 60-minutes of hockey.
– Mika Zibanejad continues to feast on the Flyers. In the 1st period, Zibanejad scored his 7th goal against the Flyers in the past 3-games. It was also his 5th power-play goal.
– After finishing their 4-game homestand 1-2-1, GM Chuck Fletcher now has a decision to make. With 16-days until the deadline & the Flyers falling further out of a playoff spot, Fletcher can’t wait any longer to make a decision to buy or sell.
Result : Flyers 2 – Rangers 1 , WIN
Record : 16 – 13 – 4
Next Game : 3/29 Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo NY, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images