The Philadelphia Flyers dropped a hard fought battle to the New York Islanders Monday night at the Wells Fargo Center. Losing 2-1 in overtime.
The Flyers came out roaring & showed some fight after their 6-1 loss to the Islanders on Saturday. Firing the first 9-shots on net at Ilya Sorokin.
However, none would get by the Islanders net-minder.
With Sorokin keeping the Flyers off the scoreboard, the Islanders would finally help out their net-minder. Getting their first shot on Brian Elliott with 11:19 left in the 1st period.
Thereafter, both teams would have their chances. But, the goalies would stop them all.
The Flyers pressure would continue in the 2nd. Starting with a power-play just 17-seconds into the period. Resulting in 2-shots & keeping the pressure on the Islanders.
That pressure would result in a goal just over the halfway mark of the game after an Islanders icing.
Jake Voracek would win a puck battle behind the net & the puck would go right to Claude Giroux. Who would bring it out from behind the net & fire a shot that would deflect off of Oskar Lindblom’s skate past Ilya Sorokin.
The Flyers pressure would continue over the final 7:57 of the 2nd. Outshooting the Islanders 7-1. But, much like the 1st, Ilya Sorokin would stop them all & keep the Islanders in the game.
New York would tie the game 4:06 into the 3rd period off of a Flyers defensive zone breakdown
After a failed clear, the Islanders would pounce & get the puck on net. Brian Elliott thought he had the puck covered. But, it would leak out right to Oliver Wahlstrom. Who put it into the empty net.
The Flyers would have their chances over the final 15:54 of the 3rd period. But, Ilya Sorokin would stop all 11-shots in the 3rd to send the game to overtime.
In overtime, after an extended shift, the Islanders would score.
Joel Farabee would lose his man, Anthony Beauvillier, as he went around the net. Beauvillier would then beat Brian Elliott to the far post & sneak it by him for the goal.
Brian Elliott stopped 17 of the 19 shots he faced in a losing effort.
– Shayne Gostisbehere re-entered the lineup after being scratched for the previous three games. In his return, Gostisbehere played with Ivan Provorov on the Flyers top defense pair. Finishing the night with no points in 15:58 of ice time.
– Sean Couturier returned to the lineup after being a late scratch due to injury on Saturday. Couturier missed Saturday’s game due to a hip injury, that was later determined by a MRI on Sunday. In his return, Couturier played 18:57.
– After 24-turnovers on Saturday, the Flyers continued to struggle with puck management. Starting tonights game with 9-turnovers in the 1st period. The Flyers ended the night with 20-turnovers.
– Brian Elliott provided a much needed safety blanket for the Flyers. After being pulled in his last two starts, Elliott stopped 17 of the 19 shots he faced to earn a point.
– For the third time in a matter of two weeks, the Flyers concluded a “mini” playoff series against an East Division team. The Flyers dropped two of three to the Penguins & all three to the Capitals. With the loss, the Flyers ended their three game series with the Islanders dropping two of three.
Result : Flyers 1 – Islanders 2 , LOSS (OT)
Record : 15 – 11 – 4
Next Game : 3/23 New Jersey Devils, Philadelphia PA, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images
Pingback: Devils vs Flyers : Game 31 Preview - Brotherly Bullies