After playing their best 60-minute game last night, the Flyers followed it up with yet another bad performance. Losing to the New Jersey Devils 4-3 Tuesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
Just like on Saturday, the Flyers followed up a poor final period with a lack-luster start. Allowing 6 of the first 7 shots on goal. Which resulted in a 1-0 Devils lead.
Kevin Hayes, Travis Konecny, & Scott Laughton would all lose puck battles below the dots in the offensive zone. The Devils would then break out on an odd-man rush & pin Phil Myers to the outside. Which resulted in a 2v1 executed to perfection for the goal.
But, the Flyers would answer shortly thereafter.
On the power-play, Joel Farabee would ram home his own rebound in-front. Jake Voracek’s shot would rebound to Farabee in-front. Where Farabee would get his 2nd chance by Mackenzie Blackwood for the goal.
With 1:26 left in the 1st period, Travis Sanheim would be whistled for a ticky-tack penalty. Which would result in a Devils goal with 5.6 left in the period.
All four Flyers penalty killers would be caught on the left side of the ice & the puck would find its way to Kyle Palmieri. Who was in the right dot & would fire one by Carter Hart with ease.
After scoring with 5.6 left in the 1st period, the Devils would use that momentum in the 2nd period. Capitalizing on two more Flyers mistakes & turnovers to take a 4-1 lead.
Phil Myers would turn the puck over behind his own net to Janne Kuokkanen. Who would pass it to Travis Zajac, who would feed Yegor Sharangovich in-front for the one-timer & the goal.
With 23.4 left in the 2nd period, five tired Flyers would get caught out on a long shift. James van Riemsdyk would be checked off the puck trying to clear. The puck would find its way to Ty Smith. Who would fire a designed shot / pass right at Travis Zajac stick. Who would deflect it into the back of the net.
For most of the 3rd period, the Flyers showed no pushback. Down three goals, in what could have been the game for their season, the Flyers effort struggled to show itself.
The Flyers would show some effort late. Sean Couturier would score two late goals to make it 4-3. But, they would run out of time.
Carter Hart stopped 28 of the 32 shots he faced in the losing effort.
– The Flyers had yet another lack-luster start after a bad final period of the previous game. On Thursday, the Flyers gave up three goals to the Islanders & it carried over into Saturday. Which resulted in a 6-1 loss. Tonight, after a bad final period last night, yet another lack-luster start resulted in two mistakes & two Devils goals.
– Head coach Alain Vigneault talked about finding consistency during his pregame media availability. However, after their best effort of the season last start, the Flyers fell back into their usual struggles.
– Joel Farabee scored his 14th goal of the season on the power-play in the 1st period. Farabee now leads the Flyers with 14-goals on the season.
– Sean Couturier scored his 7th & 8th goals of the season late in the 3rd period. With the two goals, Couturier ended his 10-game goal-less drought.
– The Flyers have a real problem right now with turnovers. Something that is making them chase the game, instead of controlling it. For the 8th straight game, the Flyers have had 10+ turnovers. Tonight, 19, was the third straight game with more than 18-turnovers.
Result : Flyers 3 – Devils 4 , LOSS
Record : 15 – 12 – 4
Next Game : 3/25 New York Rangers, Philadelphia PA, 7:00pm
Photo Credit : Len Redkoles – Getty Images