The Philadelphia Flyers defeated their cross-state rival Pittsburgh Penguins 4-1 Sunday afternoon at the Wells Fargo Center.
Interim head coach Mike Yeo talked pre-game about the pressure of younger players playing with veterans. Mentioning the second guessing of some of the Flyers younger players recently.
To counter this, Yeo decided to put together Noah Cates, Morgan Frost, & Owen Tippett. A move that Yeo said was because “wanted to make them feel more confident.”
In response to their head coaches trust, the three were one of the main reasons for the Flyers victory today.
The line combined for two Flyers goals. Both coming because of great forechecking & extended offensive time.
Noah Cates, who was one of the players Mike Yeo mentioned pre-game needing a confidence boost, responded with his best game yet. Leading the line & ending the day with three-points.
Cates scored his 4th & 5th goals of the season during the Flyers 4-1 win vs the Penguins. Both goals coming from tips off of Flyers point shots in-front of Penguins goalie Louis Domingue.
In addition to his two goals, Cates also assisted on the Flyers opening goal. Poking the puck free in-front before Morgan Frost eventually scored.
The other main reason was the play of Martin Jones.
Jones, who was making his 3rd straight start, made 37-saves on 38-Penguins shots. Earning his 12th win of the season in impressive fashion.
Before Sidney Crosby’s late 3rd period goal with the extra attacker, Jones stopped the first 35-Penguins shots fired his way.
- Noah Cates produced his 1st career 3-point game for the Flyers. Scoring two goals, his 4th & 5th of the season, and adding an assist on the Flyers opening goal.
- Morgan Frost opened the scoring for the Flyers, his 5th goal of the season. Frost has goals in back to back games.
- Keith Yandle, coming off his worst game in his 1100+game NHL career, bounced back with two assists.
- Travis Konecny extended his point streak to 5-games with the empty-net goal.
- Martin Jones made 37-saves on the 38-shot faced to earn his 12th win of the season.
- Sidney Crosby scored his 51st career goal against the Flyers in the 3rd period. Extending his point streak to 10-games vs the Flyers.
- The Flyers won 2-straight games for just the 8th time this season.
Result : Penguins 1 – Flyers 4 , WIN
Record : 25 – 43 – 11
Next Game : Monday 4/25 vs Chicago Blackhawks , Chicago IL , 8:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Len Redkoles – Getty Images
Pingback: Flyers vs Blackhawks: Game 80 Preview - Brotherly Bullies