The Philadelphia Flyers ended their preseason with their 5th straight loss. Losing 4-3 in overtime to the New York Islanders Tuesday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
With 1:01 left in the 1st period, Samuel Ersson made what he thought was the save of the night. Stopping Islanders Josh Bailey on the break-away.
The save was Ersson’s 9th save of the 1st period and kept the game 0-0 with under a minute left in the period.
But, that was not the last save Ersson had to make in the 1st period.
Just 55-seconds later, Josh Bailey got free again. Forcing Ersson to make an even bigger save to keep the game tied at 0-0 with 6-seconds left in the period.
Ersson finished the game a perfect 15 for 15. Putting on a showcase in-front of the Flyers brass in their final preseason game.
When the Flyers started camp, Ersson himself wouldn’t have believed you if you told him that the Flyers would start him in the final preseason game.
With Felix Sandstrom & Troy Grosenick ahead of him on the depth chart, Ersson was a long shot at becoming Carter Hart’s backup.
But, with the injury to Hart & Sandstrom, Ersson has had the opportunity at playing time. Something that Ersson has taken full advantage of during the preseason.
In his four appearances in the preseason, Ersson lead all Flyers in GAA (1.46) and save percentage (.947%).
Cam York Struggles
During his pregame availability, head coach John Tortorella did not hold back his honesty when answering a question about Cam York.
“You can be OK, or you can be really good,” Tortorella said. “That’s when you make a difference. Being really good is making a difference. Those are the things we have to go through the process with him and we didn’t expect this to happen overnight.”
York, who is battling for one of the final starting defense spots, has not had the best of preseasons. Struggling to find his game shape during the preseason.
With roster cuts coming tomorrow, York needed to show tonight no doubt that he deserved that spot. But, instead, York struggled once again. Culminating with an extremely bad defensive breakdown on the Flyers power-play.
After Hayden Hodgson was clipped with a high stick, the Flyers were headed to a 4-minute power-play in a tie game. But, just 25-seconds into the power-play, York made a play to forget.
Islanders 4th liner, Casey Cizikas, out hustled & out muscled York inside his own zone. Beating York to the loose puck and flicking it by Troy Grosenick to give the Islanders a 2-1 lead.
In what was York’s last chance to impress the Flyers brass, his struggles continued. Which could have costed him a roster spot.
- Tanner Laczynski has been searching for his one defining moment throughout the whole preseason. With 11:07 left in a tie game, Laczynski broke out on a break-away. Scoring his first goal of the preseason and giving the Flyers a 3-2 lead.
- Noah Cates has been showcasing something new in every preseason game. Tonight it was his physicality. Finishing the night with 6-hits. Which led all skaters.
- Owen Tippett has been sniffing around the net throughout the preseason. But, much of like last season, Tippett was having no luck scoring a goal. Tonight, in his final tune-up before the regular season, Tippett scored his first goal of the preseason.
- Travis Sanheim led all Flyers in ice time – 27:09.
- Troy Grosenick played the final 35-minutes tonight. With a roster spot on the line, Grosenick struggled to make the big save when the Flyers needed it. Finishing the night with 14-saves on 18-shots.
Result : Islanders 4 – Flyers 3 , OT LOSS
Record : 1 – 4 – 1
Next Game : Thursday 10/13 vs New Jersey Devils, Philadelphia PA, 7:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Tim Nwachukwu – Getty Images