The Philadelphia Flyers found yet another way to blow a multiple goal lead. Resulting in a 5-3 loss to the Anaheim Ducks Saturday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
The Flyers have had issues all season with giving up goals in quick succession. Which, in the 1st period, didn’t look like the case tonight.
As the puck dropped after Lou Nolan’s 50-years of service pregame ceremony, it took the Flyers just 2:28 to take control of the game. Scoring two goals in 61-seconds to take an early 2-0 lead.
Travis Sanheim opening the scoring just 1:39 into the game and Ronnie Attard getting his 1st career NHL goal 61-seconds later.
After the Flyers took a 2-0 lead, Ducks head coach Dallas Eakins would call a timeout. Looking to calm his team down and a response for their bad start. Something that came in the 2nd period.
In the 2nd period, the Ducks would flip the script and dominate the Flyers. Scoring three goals, two in a span of 1:32 in the first 4:38 of the period, to take a 3-2 lead to the 3rd period.
The Ducks outshot the Flyers 17-4 in the 2nd period.
After an Ivan Provorov tying goal just 3:53 into the 3rd period, the Flyers looked like they had a comeback in them. But, that comeback would be halted by another head scratching move by interim head coach Mike Yeo.
With the Flyers in their own zone after a TV timeout, Yeo decided to put the 4th line – Lindblom : Thompson : Brown – out against the Ducks top line. A decision that would be a regretful one as the Ducks scored just 5-seconds after the face-off.
Anaheim would go on to win 5-3. Finishing the game, after the Flyers 2-0 lead & Dallas Eakins timeout, with five goals & 34-shots.
Martin Jones made 29-saves on the 34-shots he faced in the losing effort.
- Joel Farabee missed tonight’s game with an illness. Hayden Hodgson was recalled from Leigh Valley & played for Farabee.
- Ronnie Attard, who got his 1st NHL point on Tuesday, recorded his 1st NHL goal tonight.
- The Flyers power-play continues to generate better chances. However, continues to struggle to score and has gone 17-straight power-plays without a goal.
- After Claude Giroux was traded, the Flyers struggled in the face-off dot. Tonight, for the 4th straight game, the Flyers were over 50%. (57%)
- The Flyers & Ducks were the only two teams remaining in the NHL without a multiple goal comeback this season. With their 2-goal comeback tonight, the Flyers are now the only team in the NHL without a multiple goal comeback.
Lou Nolan Honored For 50-Years Of Service
Before tonight’s game, the Flyers honored long time public address announcer Lou Nolan. Who is celebrating his 50th season as the Flyers public address announcer.
In honoring his 50-years, the Flyers made the night extra special for Lou.
For the first time since the covid pandemic started, Lou called the game from his usual ice level seat. Due to covid, the NHL set protocols to move the public address announcer to the press box. Which, for tonight, Flyers CEO Dave Scott said “I’ll pay the fine” to return Lou to his usual perch.
The Flyers also presented Lou with a commemorative microphone, a special edition bottle of wine, and a trip to Napa Valley.
Result : Ducks 5 – Flyers 3 , LOSS
Record : 23 – 38 – 11
Next Game : Tuesday 4/12 vs Washington Capitals , Washington DC , 7:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Len Redkoles – Getty Images