The Philadelphia Flyers blew another game late in the 3rd period. Eventually losing in overtime to the Montreal Canadiens, 4-3, Sunday night at the Wells Fargo Center.
Before the game, interim head coach Mike Yeo stressed the importance of puck possession. Something the Flyers certainly have had their troubles with this season.
“Our play with the puck, thats one area we continue to stress,” interim head coach Mike Yeo said pregame. “We have to be better. If you control the game, you control the game with the puck.”
In the 1st period, this very evident after the Flyers took a 1-0 lead.
Kevin Hayes finished off a perfect tic-tac-toe passing play on the rush for his 4th of the season. James van Riemsdyk started the play with a cross-ice pass to Travis Sanheim. Who made the pass to Hayes for the goal.
Thereafter, the Flyers would again be chasing the game. Even with the 1-0 lead.
Montreal would control the puck for the remaining 13:00 minutes of the period. Putting tremendous pressure on the chasing Flyers.
In the 2nd period, Montreal’s continued pressure would result in an early power-play & the tying goal. The 5th power-play goal given up by the Flyers in their last 4 games.
Just before the halfway point of the game, the Flyers would retake the lead. Claude Giroux would finish off two extra efforts by his line-mates, Travis Konecny & Morgan Frost, for the goal.
But, just 1:07 later, the Canadiens would re-tie the game. Yet another goal allowed on the shift following a goal by the Flyers.
Early in the 3rd period, the Flyers would retake the lead. Cam Atkinson would put home a cross-ice feed on the doorstep from Joel Farabee.
With 42.1 seconds left in the game, Montreal would tie the game. On the penalty kill nonetheless. The Flyers defense allowed three Canadiens to be on one side of the ice with no Flyers in sight for the easy tap-in.
In overtime, a Morgan Frost turnover would lead to the game winner.
Frost’s turnover would lead to Ivan Provorov being out of position & an easy pass to a streaking Canadien. Who went bar down and beat Carter Hart high over the blocker.
Carter Hart stopped 31 of the 35 Canadiens’s shots he faced in the loss.
- With a goal in the 2nd period, Claude Giroux earned his 900th point in a Flyers uniform. Just the 2nd player in Flyers history to reach 900 points in a Flyers uniform.
- Claude Giroux’s goal in the 2nd period was his 291st career goal in a Flyers uniform. Passing Eric Lindros for 8th all-time in Flyers history.
- Cam Atkinson scored his 22nd goal on the season in the 3rd period. Atkinson now has 8 points in his last 8 games – 5 goals & 3 assists.
- Derick Brassard assisted on Cam Atkinson’s goal in the 3rd period. It was Brassard’s 4th point in his last 5 games.
- Carter Hart stopped 31 of the 35 Montreal Canadiens shots. Hart was hung out to dry on three of the four Montreal goals.
- The Flyers penalty kill continued its rough stretch. Giving up their 5th power-play goal in their last 4 games – 9/14 (64.3%).
Claude Giroux Point #900
Claude Giroux’s time in Philadelphia may soon be over. But, in the game before his 1000th, Giroux reached another milestone.
With 12:49 remaining in the 2nd period, Giroux scored his 18th goal of the season. It was Giroux’s 900th career point in Philadelphia. Becoming just the 2nd player in Flyers history to do so.
In 999-career games, Giroux has 291 goals & 609 assists.
Giroux’s goal also moved him into 8th all-time in Flyers history. Passing Eric Lindros who had 290 goals.
Result : Canadiens 4 – Flyers 3 , OT LOSS
Record : 18 – 28 – 11
Next Game : Thursday 3/17 vs Nashville Predators , Philadelphia PA , 7:00pm
PHOTO CREDIT: Len Redkoles – Getty Images
Pingback: Predators vs Flyers: Game 60 Preview - Brotherly Bullies